Erode - Government Museum
Erode Government Museum will appeal to culture buffs and history lovers. The museum is a rich repository of objects related to art, anthropology and archeology, being one of the largest storehouses of art and culture in Tamil Nadu. The museum was established in 1987 and is open on Sundays too.
Government Museum is the prominent gallery that exhibits regional art and traditions. The museum was opened for public in 1987, displaying inscriptions belonging to the Kongu Chola Kingdom.
Artifacts, handicrafts and stones from Bargur are some of the major attractions at the gallery. Furthermore, there are separate sections to display Thanjore paintings, manuscripts and other pre-history items.
Besides, the museum is known for housing botanical and zoological specimens along with an extensive collection of palm-leaf manuscripts.
Government Museum of Erode sprawls over 1200 sq.ft and is worth a visit. The museum’s art collection is quite stunning and is considered to be extremely valuable. The exquisite Thanjore paintings and Kodumanal antiques are worth checking out as is the inscription of Kongu Chola – a major attraction here. You can also see many prehistoric items as well as hero stones from Bargur, palm leaf manuscripts and coins. This apart there are many botanical and zoological specimens and geological objects as well.
· Holidays: Fridays, Second Saturdays And National Holidays
· Operating Hours: Mon-Sun : 09:30 AM - 05:00 PM
· Address: Curator, Government Museum, Municipal Office Campus, Erode – 638 001, Tamil Nadu.
· Period Built: Established In 1987
· Entry Fee: Adults: Rs. 5/- (Indian Nationals) Children Below 12 Years: Rs. 3/- (Indian Nationals) Bonafide Students And Teachers In Groups With Prior Permission: Rs. 2/- (Indian Nationals) Non- Indian Nationals: Rs. 100/- Or US $ 2