Avinashi Lingeswarar Temple, Avinashi – History
The temple was constructed by the king of Kongu chola, The Pandyas, Hoysalas and the king of Mysore. The renovation process was done by Krishna Raja Udayar of Mysore in 1756. The temple went through a dry period of no recognition for the next 150 years until 1919, when an ‘Ashta Bandhana Maha Kumbabishekam’ was organized. In 1954 Ten Thevaram songs were inscribed into the marble stones by the Thirupanandal Kashi Mutt.
Renovation of the temple was again carried out in 1959 by the department of the archaeological works. In 1970 the temple administration was transferred from the Archaeological department to the HR and CE department. In the same year, the 2.95 acres of land over which the temple was located was handed over to the government. Sundara Swamigal of Siravai Adhinam completed the main tower work and in 1980 a mahakumbahbishekam was organized.
A fire accident led to the damage of the cars in 1990. A new car was built and came under use in 1993. A five stage tower was constructed in the same year due to the efforts of Pollachi. Thiru.N.Mahalingam. A special shrine was built for Sundaramurthi Nayanar in 1996.
Under the Tamilnadu Government’s Temple town development scheme, the east gate construction and other activities were carried out in 1999-2000.