Korukkai Veeratteswarar Temple – Inscriptions
There are 21 one stone inscriptions proclaiming details of this kshetram. In the 12th century AD, this place was referred to as Vikrama Chola Chaturvedi Mangalam in Kurukkai Nadu. An inscription on the Northern wall of the mandapa in front of the Central shrine of the temple dating back to 1169 AD tells an interesting story relating to an event at this temple. A piece of land had previously remained uncultivated for over 50years. The assembly of the temple paid the taxes that were due for all these years to reclaim the land. Subsequently once again it remained fallow and taxes unpaid. Hence it was decided to gift the land to the temple. The land was to be cultivated with paddy and with the income generated from it a 100 red lotus garlands (Chengalanur) were to be presented to the deity for mid night service.
20 years later, in 1188AD, during the rule of Kulottunga III a gift of house was made to the temple. There was a provision made for bailing of water from adjoining well and for taking water by digging a channel. In early 13th century AD, there was a gift of paddy to meet the expenses of servants of Palliyarai and also for the construction of a cave called Thirunavukarasu Thiru Kuhai for the destitute apurvins who visited it and Mahesvaras who attended the festival of Thiruvai Gasi Thirunaal. Also, there is a record of the recitation of Thiru Thandagam at the temple in 1207AD.
One of the most inscriptions inside the temple is recording of the names of slaves that included both men and women numbering over 100 who were purchased. Through the 12th and 13th Century AD, there were several ongoing contributions for the burning of the perpetual lamp at the temple. These contributions came in the form of cash as well as gift of land. There are several such inscriptions dating back a 1000 years. Many of them on the outer walls are intact. However, some of them on the inner walls have lost some of the sheen and are not in a readable state.
The temple itself is in a dilapidated state with big cracks on the walls of the Madapalli that could come down anytime. The Vimana of the Lord which has several sculptures is also in bad shape. The huge wall at the entrance of the temple next to the Raja Gopuram has also caved in. The previous restoration work had taken place in 1959. Since then, there has been very little repair and maintenance work that has been undertaken and this has resulted in the sheen going off several inscriptions. The temple is under the administration of Dharmapura Adheenam.
The inscriptions are found on the mandapam and Chandeswara shrines. Most of the inscriptions refer to gifts of lands to the temple. However, a few are of interest. One of them refers to the recitation of Thiruth Thandagam in the temple inscribed during the nineteenth regnal year of Kulothunga III. Another inscription of the same king (Kulothunga III) records a gift of money by a lady to some other temple. The last named Araiyan Umaiyalvi belonging to Periya Ahapparivarman gifted for offerings to the temple of Thiru Chamundisvaramudaiayr and to the images of Thiruppalliyaraiaa Nachiyar and Atkondanayaka Deva set up by her in the temple at Panaiyur in Kurrukkainadu.