Monday, September 30, 2019

Angala Parameswari Temple, West Mambalam, Chennai

Angala Parameswari Temple, West Mambalam, Chennai
Angala Parameswari Temple is a Hindu Temple located in West Mambalam in Chennai City in Tamilnadu. The Temple is also called as Putru Koil. The Temple was built in 1978 as per the inscriptions available in the Temple.




The Temple
The Temple is facing North with a 3 tier Rajagopuram. Presiding Deity is called as Angala Parameswari Amman and she is in sitting posture. Simha and Balipeedam are facing sanctum. Ganapathy, Dhakshinamoorthy and Siva Durgai are Koshta Idols around the sanctum walls. There are Shrines for Navagrahas, Aiyappan, Valli Deivanai Subramaniyar, Saptha kanniyars and Urchavar in the Temple premises.



A Putru (an Ant Hill) is situated is on the west side of the sanctum. As per the inscription the temple was constructed by one Mr Poongavana Nayakar during 1978. Since the Ant hill seems to be older than the temple, there must be an old temple existed at this place.



Temple Opening Time
The temple remains open from 06.30 AM to 10.30 AM and 05.30 PM to 08.00 PM.
Connectivity
The Temple is located in Apparswami Street, West Mambalam, Chennai. The Temple is located at about 100 meters from Madras Kali Bari Temple, 500 meters from Anjugam School Bus Stop, 850 meters from Ayodhya Mandapam, 2 Kms from Ashok Pillar, 3 Kms from Saidapet Railway Station, 1.5 Kms from Mambalam Railway Station, 2 Kms from Ashok Nagar Metro Station, 2.5 Kms from T Nagar Bus Terminus, 6 Kms from Guindy, 2 Kms from T Nagar, 11 Kms from Chennai Central Railway Station, 7 Kms from Koyambedu Mofussil Bus Terminus, 8 Kms from Egmore Railway Station and 11 Kms from Chennai Airport.
West Mambalam is served by Mambalam Railway station (the busiest station after Chennai Central, Egmore and Tambaram), providing access to Chennai Central, Chennai Egmore and Tambaram. The nearest bus terminus is T. Nagar. The bus service connects the area to K.K. Nagar, Vadapalani, Iyappanthangal, Poonamallee, T. Nagar and Broadway (via Postal Colony), Mylapore and Vallalar Nagar (via Rangarajapuram) and Saligramam (via Brindavan Street), West Saidapet and Besant Nagar (via Mettupalayam). Other less frequent services connect the area to Taramani, Guindy Industrial Estate, Pattabiram, Tollgate and Kundrathur. Addition to that Small bus operated between Ashok Pillar to Liberty via 4th and 7th avenue of Ashok Nagar, Ayodhya Mandapam, Rangarajapuram. Nearest Metro Rail Station is Ashok Nagar.
Location

Wesley Church, Egmore, Chennai

Wesley Church, Egmore, Chennai
Wesley Church is one of the oldest churches in Egmore area of Chennai, the capital of the South Indian state of Tamil Nadu. The original structure was built in Gothic architecture in 1905 by Wesleyan Mission. Wesley Church is a working church with hourly prayer and daily services and follows Protestant sect of Christianity. In modern times, it is under the dominion of Diocese of Madras of the Church of South India. It is one of the most prominent landmarks of Egmore.




History
The church was named after Wesley, the founder of Methodist movement in 140 countries. Protestant missions in India were legalized by an act of British Parliament in 1813. The mission to India and Ceylon was initiated with five members. The Madras mission was established in 1817, with Royapettah as the headquarters. During the later period of the 19th century, the need was felt to expand in regions like Egmore and Perambur. During 1892, the Garden House in Poonamallee High Road was purchased for the pastor of the English group. Rev. John Breedan, who was the first to occupy the premises with the lotus tank in front of it worked towards the foundation of the church.



The foundation of the Church was laid on 28 December 1903 with the filling of lotus tank on Poonamalle High Road in Egmore by Prof. George G. Findlay and his fellow missionaries of the Wesleyan Mission. The church was formally inaugurated on 11 February 1905 by Rev. J. Cooling and the formal message of opening the church was announced by Rev. William H. Findlay. The centenary celebrations of the Church were celebrated on 29 January 2005, with special lectures and fundraising events.


Architecture
The church is built in Gothic architecture. The site at the current place where it the Church is located was originally a lotus tank. The tank was filled up during the early day of settlement of Rev. John Breedan from 1892 when the land was purchased. The pipe organ used by the church is of important note and is one of the oldest instruments still in use. The church has an exterior made of brick, stained glass windows and tiled brick spire. The altar houses conventional Methodist images and a prayer hall for the devotees. The plaques of Wesley and Jesus Christ are housed in glass chambers in standing posture on the walls facing the devotees There is a school and institutions belonging to the Church located within the compound.




Worship Practices & Festivals
The priests in the church were originally only English, but during modern times, Tamil people were also allowed. In modern times, the Church is administered by the Diocese of Madras of the Church of South India. Mass is performed in the church from Monday to Friday on 8 a.m., 8:30 a.m. and 5 p.m. on Saturdays and 8:30 a.m. and 6 p.m. on Sundays. The festival of the temple is celebrated during the Christmas times for eight days, starting with flag hoisting on 24 December and ending with a feast and religious lectures on 2 January.
The Church has a home for mentally challenged named Parivalaya; the annual festivals are conducted along with the institution. Harvest festival is celebrated in the church as a Thanksgiving Day every year during the month of November. In association with humanitarian institutions, rice, cereal, vegetables and oil are donated to the socially backward people of the society. The festival is considered one of the primary stipulations from the Old Testament, which emphasizes gratitude to society.
Contact
Wesley Church,
Egmore, Chennai – 600 064
Phone: +91 44 4269 7871 / 4269 7870
Mobile: +91 81220 52521 / 94448 03689
Mobile: +91 98400 64854 / 98400 12612
Connectivity
The Church is located at about 400 meters from Dasaprakash Bus Stop, 500 meters from Y.W.C.A. Bus Stop, 600 meters from Nehru Park Metro Station, 700 meters from Egmore Metro Station, 1 Km from Egmore Bus Stand, 1 Km from Egmore Railway Station, 5 Kms from Chennai Central Railway Station, 9 Kms from Koyambedu Chennai Mofussil Bus Terminus and 18 Kms from Chennai Airport.
Location

National Art Gallery, Egmore, Chennai

National Art Gallery, Egmore, Chennai
National Art Gallery is situated in EgmoreChennai, is one of the oldest art galleries in India. Constructed with red stones sourced from Satyavedu in Andhra Pradesh, the Gallery was built in 1906 in Indo-Saracenic architecture and houses paintings from ThanjavurRajasthanKangra and Deccan areas, as well as sandalwood sculptures.




History
The National Art Gallery was built during the celebration of Queen Victoria's Golden Jubilee in Indo-Saracenic style, designed by architect Henry Irwin. The National Art Gallery was built of sandstone in the year 1907 by T. Namberumal Chetty. Earlier it was known as Victoria Memorial Hall. The Gallery has been identified as a Heritage site by the CMDA. In 2002 the gallery has been closed for tourists, due to several building flaws and structural instability, which triggered severe criticism from art critics. In 2013, the Gallery was set for a major face lift with Chief Minister Dr. J. Jayalalithaa allocating  110 million for repairs and forming an expert committee for its restoration.


The Gallery
The National Art Gallery consists of four different sections, which include Tanjore Painting Gallery, Decorative Art Gallery, Indian Traditional Art Gallery and Raja Ravi Varma Painting Gallery. The miniature paintings from the Mughal era, handicrafts from 11th and 12th centuries and Rajput paintings from the 18th and 19th centuries are also on display. Portraits of various British officers such as Lord Connemara and Lord William Bentinck are also present. The art gallery also included numerous miniature paintings depicting court and battle scenes.




Museum Timings
·        Museum remains open from 9:30 am to 5:00 pm.
·        Closed on Fridays and National holidays.
Entrance Fees
Indians: (Adults) Rs. 15, (Children below 12 years) Rs. 10, Rs. 5 (Students and teachers in group with prior permission)
Foreigners: Rs. 250 (adults), Rs. 125(children), Rs. 75 (Students and teachers in group with prior permission)
Camera Fee: Rs 200 (still photography), Rs 500 (video camera)
Connectivity
The Museum Complex is located at about 250 meters from Egmore Women’s Hospital Bus Stop, 600 meters from Egmore Court Bus Stop, 1 Km from Egmore Children’s Hospital Bus Stop, 3 Kms from Nehru Park Metro Station, 3 Kms from Egmore Bus Stand, 2 Kms from Egmore Railway Station, 2 Kms from Egmore Metro Station, 5 Kms from Chennai Central Railway Station, 10 Kms from Koyambedu Chennai Mofussil Bus Terminus and 17 Kms from Chennai Airport. The National Art Gallery is situated inside the Government Museum Complex on Pantheon Road in Egmore, Chennai.
Location

St Andrew's Church, Egmore, Chennai

St Andrew's Church, Egmore, Chennai
St. Andrew's Church in situated in EgmoreChennaiIndia. It was built to serve the Scottish community in Chennai. The Church is popularly referred to as 'The Kirk'. It is one of the finest examples of Georgian Church architecture in Asia and was modeled on the plan for St. Martin’s Lane, London. It continues in the Scottish Presbyterian Tradition and the worship is described by every visitor as "beautiful" in its form, in its spirit and in its truth. The church has a 200-year old history behind it. It is one of the oldest 'living churches' in the world. The church was specially built for the Scottish community serving in the East India Company at that time.








History
For brief details, please refer below link;
Architecture
For brief details, please refer below link;
Religious Practices
St. Andrew's Church (The Kirk) is of the Scottish Presbyterian tradition and continues to belong to it. Its form of worship and system of governance continue to be truly Presbyterian. However, it is free to follow and does include other orders of service used by any other Church with which it is doctrinally like-minded.
Contact
St. Andrew's Church (The Kirk),
#37, Poonamallee High Road,
Egmore, Chennai - 600 008
Phone: +91 44 2561 2608
Connectivity
St. Andrew’s Church is located at about 200 meters from Thinathanthi Bus Stop, 200 meters from Egmore Bus Stand, 400 meters from Egmore Metro Station, 600 meters from Egmore Railway Station, 2 Kms from Chennai Central Railway Station, 11 Kms from Koyambedu Chennai Mofussil Bus Terminus and 19 Kms from Chennai Airport. The Church is situated in Poonamalle High Road opposite to Daily Thanthi Office.
Location

St Andrew's Church, Egmore – History

St Andrew's Church, Egmore – History
It was on April 6 in 1818 that the first stone was laid for the construction of St. Andrew’s Church, popularly known as the Kirk. This exquisite marvel of architecture was built and dedicated in 1821 for the Scotsmen in then British army. The church was the result of efforts of Major Thomas Fort de Havilland and Colonel James Caldwell. The East India Company had borne the expense of the construction of St George's Church of England and therefore decided to construct a church of the sister kingdom, Scotland. Thus St. Andrew's Kirk came into being. 
The plan was not suited for the hot and humid climate. The proposed roof was a big challenge to implement. Financial constraint was also there. The dome had to be built with the help of masonry, which suited the local climatic conditions. A Bishop of the Church objected to the construction of steeples outside of Scotland saying that it was "unusual and unconstitutional" practice. The first stone had a brass plate with an inscription in English and Latin, with several coins of the British and Madras currency placed below it.
A parchment with the inscription in Tamil and Telugu, sealed in a bottle along with more coins of the period, was also laid with the first stone. The church was designed and built by Major Thomas de Havilland with Colonel Caldwell as chief engineer, at a time when a number of neo-classical churches were being built in England and Scotland. St. Andrew’s follows this style of architecture. The church is built on a marshy land prone to sinking and flooding. This land was purchased because of the low cost and its proximity to Fort St. George.
The East India Company bore the expenses towards the entire construction of this church. Special engineering efforts were taken to ensure a strong foundation. A foundation of 14 ft with circular masonry brick wells of 9- feet depth with a bed of pottery was dug to ensure that the building did not sink or fall apart because of the marshy land. This British church with towering steeples has indeed stood the test of time. The church stands till today as one of the finest of Gregorian architecture.

St Andrew's Church, Egmore – Architecture

St Andrew's Church, Egmore – Architecture
St Andrew's Church is one of the finest examples of Georgian Church architecture in Asia. The church shows prominent features of Neo-Classical architecture, it is inspired by St Martin in the fields in London. It was designed and executed by Major Thomas de Havilland and Colonel James Caldwell of the Madras Engineers. The land was purchased because of the low land value and its proximity to the Fort St. George. But the land was on marshy lowland and was subject to sinking and flooding.




The 14 ft foundation of the Kirk sits on a bed of pottery and brick wells 9 ft deep. The wells were sunk into the marshy sand by first weaving a wicker ring to sit under the brick or pottery ring. The walls of the well were built with specially made curved bricks or pottery rings cemented with watery mortar over it. The entire tube was then bound completely with coir rope. The well digger gets into this tube to excavate the hole beneath, taking utmost care not to upset the perpendicularity of the constructed cylinder.




The total of 150 wells were set close to each other and were filled with material whose volume did not alter in water. The foundation was created as a strong series of connected low vaults that could serve as catacombs if necessary in the future. The building was kept in equilibrium as all the wells were placed on the same type of surface and would all be affected uniformly.




On the April 6, 1818, Rev. Doctor John Allen D.D laid the foundation stone of the church. The circular central congregation hall is cool and airy. The beauty and grace of the church is by lovely stuccowork of Madras Chunnambu or lime stucco renowned for its superiority. The pillars and walls are decorated with a relief of grapes nestled in leaves.




Dome:
The body of the church is a circle, with rectangular compartments to the east and west. The circular part 24.5 m in diameter, was constructed using the 'Syrian masonry' technique. The dome was painted with lapis lazuli shade of blue. It is believed to be one of the few in the world to be supported by columns of such huge height. This is painted with golden stars and supported by 16 fluted pillars with Corinthian columns support it.
The interiors are done with woodwork of mahogany and black and white chequered marble floor, which adds to the beauty of this church. A narrow stairway leads to the roof of the main structure. There is the bald top of the dome. Two new stainless-steel bands reinforce the dome, which had begun to crack. At the front end is the steeple itself.
Stained Glass:
The stained-glass windows above the main altar, in warm, rich colors, are among the glories of the church. The two enormous stained-glass panels glow on the back wall depicting scenes from the Bible. The breathtakingly rich glass stained window panels of St. Peter and St. Andrew are examples of excellent artistry by 'W&J Jkier, artists in Stained Glass, Glasgow, Scotland'.

Pipe Organ:
The church boasts of one of the oldest pipe organs in the city of Chennai. Maestros like Handel Manuel and Victor Paranjothi have led the gifted choir of this church renowned for its beauty and song. Dominating the altar is the pipe organ in dull green and burnished gold. Built in New Yorkshire, England, this instrument was installed in 1883. 15 enormous olive green and gold pipes are arranged in a beautiful vertical and lateral pattern to make an astounding organ. Behind the pipes, connected mass of levers, hinges, pipes, chords and beams are placed that made this complex instrument work. 


Bell:
A bell is suspended from a large beam in a square room having a beautiful sound. An interesting story is associated with the bell. The original bell was 4 m in diameter and was meant especially for this Church. It was cast by an experienced bell founder from Bengal, in a Powder foundry, which is otherwise used only for military purpose. The British bureaucracy had, however, refused to spare the founder of the establishment to cast the bell.
The bell was duly hung and tolled for the first time at the funeral of the aged pastor. Very soon a controversy surrounded the bell, following the complaint by the jealous powder – mill founder who was sidelined from this project. The bell was brought down, and the Military Board ordered an inquiry. The bell was ordered to be sold and was broken up and replaced by the existing one.