Soundararajaperumal Temple, Thadikombu - History
This temple is considered to be equal in importance to the Kallazhagar Temple. It was renovated by the Vijayanagar kings, Achudeva Raya and his brother Ramadeva Raya in 1551. During the 15th century, Dindigul was the scene of heavy warfare and people moved in large numbers to Thadikombu. The temple is believed to have been built during the rule of Achyuta Deva Raya (1529–1542 CE), the younger brother of Krishna Deva Raya, during the 16th century.
The construction supposedly began during the rule of his predecessor, Aliya Rama Raya (1485 – 1565 CE). There are inscriptions from various ruling empires on the contributions made to the maintenance of the temple. The outer halls and the sculptures were included during the period of Thirumalai Nayak (1623-59) in 1629. Thirumalai Nayakar of Madurai is said to have commissioned the exquisite sculptures dating back to around 1640 CE.
There are references to the Northern House at Thaadi Kombu in culverts relating to Sundara Pandya, a Pandya king who ruled Madurai sometime between the 9th and 12th centuries CE. This is an indication that the temple dates back to a time prior to the rule of Sundara Pandyan and is possibly more than 1000 years old.
A damaged inscription in the temple from the period of Rama Raya is found in the Garuda Mandapa. An inscription in the Sundara Pandya Mandapam indicates the conduct of marriage festival of Kallazhagar in Madurai. Other inscription mentions that the people of Madurai consider Thadikombu as their northern settlement.
Inscription within the temple makes this reference –
“சுந்தர பாண்டிய மண்டபதிலே நானும் நம் பெண்டுகளும் மூலகமா இறுகலில் நமக்கு வடக்கு வீடான திருமலை தாடி கொம்பு அழகர் "
It is also learnt that a chieftain by name Sundaresan appointed the priests of the temple. It is also believed that a hall being named Sundarapandya, the temple might have existed from the earlier Pandyan era and might have been expanded by the Vijayanagar kings.