Soundararajaperumal Temple, Nagapattinam – History
The temple had contributions from Pallavas, Nagars and Cholas during the 8th to 10th centuries. During the later centuries, Thanjavur Nayaks and subsequently the Thanjavur Marathas are believed to have made significant contributions to the temple. During the rule of the Nayaks, Nagapattinam was a busy port and it was more of a Dutch territory. On the request of the Dutch for a light house, the Nayak king is believed to have built the seven tiered temple tower and utilized it as the light house.
Jagul Nayakar, the lieutenant of a Nayak king during the 1650s, was a staunch worshiper of Soundararaja Perumal. He is believed to have built the temple tower, halls and the compound wall around the temple. The image of him and his wife Lakshmi Ammal are installed in one of the halls built by them. Kundo Pandithar, an officer of the Nayak kingdom during 1737, is believed to have constructed the Ashtana Mandapam and the Pachai Varnar, Pavala Vannar, Veetrirundha Perumal, Kidantha Kola Perumal and Vishwaksenar shrines.
During the early 20th century, Dratcha Balagurumuthi Chettiyar built the Bhakthiula hall, Chinnaya Chettiyar rebuilt the Vasantha hall, Nachiyappa Pillai rebuilt the Mataipalli, Ramasami Pillai renovated the image of the presiding shrine and the citizens of the town contributed to various other renovations. There are inscriptions from various ruling empires on the contributions made to the maintenance of the temple.