Thursday, April 27, 2017

Thyagaraja Temple, Thiruvarur

Thyagaraja Temple, Thiruvarur
Thyagarajar Temple is a Hindu temple dedicated to the deity Shiva, located in the town of Thiruvarur in Tamil NaduIndia. Shiva is worshiped as Moolanathar, and is represented by the lingam. Daily poojas are offered to his idol referred to as Maragatha lingam. His consort Parvathi is depicted as Kondi. The temple complex covers 30 acres, and is one of the largest in India. It houses four gateway towers known as gopurams. The tallest is the eastern tower, with four stories and a height of 36 meters (118 ft.). The temple has numerous shrines, with those of Thyagarajar (Veethi Vidangar) and Neelothbalambal (Alliyankothai) being the most prominent.





Though Lord Shiva as Vanmikanathar is the main deity, the shrine dedicated to Thyagaraja is better known in the temple. Thyagarajar Temple, Thiruvarur has the image of Thyagarajar who is referred to as Veedhi Vitankar in the sacred Tamil Thevaram hymns. Thyagaraja is the name given to the manifestation of Shiva at Tiruvarur called Somaskanda and six of the other Sapta Vitanka shrines. The term Vitanka (Veedhi Vitanka as in Tiruvarur) represents the Thyagaraja image, as well as the Shivalingam (made of precious stone, placed in a silver casket) that is installed in the shrine dedicated to Thyagaraja.





The Somaskanda manifestation of Shiva features Shiva, Uma and Skanda (Muruga or Karthikeya their son). Lord Shiva is seated with Parvathi to his left and Skanda his son, seated in between the two. Somaskanda represents the processional image of Shiva in most Saivite temples. So, there is nearly always a shrine for Somaskanda in Shiva temples. The name Thyagaraja became associated with Somaskanda only from the 16th century though the earliest references to Somaskanda as Thyagaraja go back to the 12th century CE.





Until that point in time, this image was referred to as Veedhi Vitankar in Tamil and Aaruradipati in Sanskrit. Somaskanda is symbolic of fertility, royal lineages etc. Again, the image of Thyagaraja is always kept covered with decorative cloth, but for the faces of Shiva and Parvati. The feet of the image are kept uncovered only on two occasions each year - namely Margazhi Thiruvadirai and Panguni Uthiram. The former is referred to as Dakshina Pada Dharisanam while the latter is the Uttara Pada Dharisanam corresponding to the darker and the brighter halves of the year.





The presiding deity is revered in the 7th century Tamil Saiva canonical work, the Thevaram, written by Tamil saint poets known as the Nayanmars and classified as Paadal Petra Sthalam. The present masonry structure was built during the Chola dynasty in the 9th century, while later expansions are attributed to Vijayanagar rulers of the Sangama Dynasty (1336–1485 CE), the Saluva Dynasty and the Tuluva Dynasty (1491–1570 CE).





This temple is renowned for music and dance traditions from ancient times. Thiruvarur was the cultural center for Cholas who extended great patronage here, especially Raja Raja Cholan I. Sundaramoorthy Nayanar is known for his close association with Thiruvarur. His shrine faces Thyagarajar shrine. Thiruvarur is home to Trinity of Carnatic music, namely Thyagaraja (1767–1847 CE), Muthuswami Dikshitar (1775–1835 CE) and Shyama Shastri (1762–1827 CE). Muthuswami Dikshitar has sung eulogies of the temple deities of the Thyagarajaswami temple.




The Maha samprokshanam also known as Kumbabishekam of the temple was held on 8 November 2015. The temple has six daily rituals at various times from 5:30 a.m. to 10 p.m., and twelve yearly festivals on its calendar. The temple has the largest chariot in Tamilnadu and the annual festival is celebrated during the month of April. The temple is maintained and administered by the Hindu Religious and Endowment Board of the Government of Tamilnadu.





Etymology
For brief details, please refer below link;
Legends
For brief details, please refer below link;
History
For brief details, please refer below link;
The Temple
For brief details, please refer below link;
Temple Opening Time
The temple is open from 5.00am to 12.00am and from 4.00pm to 9.00pm.
Poojas
For brief details, please refer below link;
Festivals
For brief details, please refer below link;
Worship & Religious Practices
For brief details, please refer below link;
Processional Dance
For brief details, please refer below link;
Music, Dance & Literature
For brief details, please refer below link;
Literary Mention
For brief details, please refer below link;
Prayers
For brief details, please refer below link;
Contact
Thyagarajar Temple,
Thiruvarur – 610 001
Thiruvarur District
Phone: +91 – 4366 – 242 343
Mobile: +91 – 94433 54302
Connectivity
For brief details, please refer below link;

No comments: