Sunday, March 18, 2018

Jagannatha Perumal Temple, Thirumazhisai – History

Jagannatha Perumal Temple, Thirumazhisai – History
Thirumazhisai was originally called by various names like Chrukuravalli-Chaturvedimanagalam, Pakkaturaivalla-Chaturvedimangalam, Mahisaram and Mahaksehtram because the number of Vedic people settled here during the Chola and Vijayanagara period. The inscriptions on the walls of the temple are from the Chola regime during the 11-12th centuries and Vijayanagara period during the 14-15th centuries. The inscriptions are made in Tamil or in ancient Tamil scripts indicating gift of land, lamps and houses to the temple.
The oldest inscription is found from the period of Kulothunga Chola III (1179-1216 CE) indicating gift of land to the temple. Vijaya Gandagopala, a chieftain during the 12th century has endowed gifts to the temple. There are also inscriptions from the period of Kopperunjinga during the 13th century. Harihara Raya II (1377-1404 CE) and Virupaksha Raya II (1465-85 CE), the rulers of the Vijayanagara Empire have donated gifts to the temple as indicated in the inscriptions.
Even though the exact age of Jagannatha temple is unknown, from the records and inscriptions, it is evident that this temple was renovated by Kulothunga Chola III of 12th century AD. Tirumazhisai Alwar, the great devotee of Lord Vishnu, who was associated closely with this temple, belonged to 8th century AD. Hence, we can assume that this temple should be at least 1000 years old.
It could have been built by Chola kings when they were ruling this region. This place was referred to as Thirumazhisai Chaturvedi Mangalam as per the 12th and 13th Century inscriptions. During the 13th century, it had been called Thirumazhisai Agaram. The Thirukachi Nambis, who lived in the 10th century, had sung in praise of this Sthala.

No comments: