Friday, June 16, 2017

Paampuranathar Temple, Thirupampuram – Inscriptions

Paampuranathar Temple, Thirupampuram – Inscriptions
There are 28 epigraphs found in the Thirupampuram temple. These epigraphs belong to the period of third Kulothunga Cholan, Rajarajan III, Rajendra III, Sundarapandyan and the Saraboji King. Thirupampuram was known as “Kulothunga Chola Chadurvedi Mangalam” during the Chola period. Chola kings succeeding Vijayalaya Chola renovated many brick-built temples into stone ones and Thirupampuram is one among them. Of the 28 inscriptions found in this temple most are found in the outer ring – six on the north, one in east, four in west and two in the south.
Of these the oldest is from the period of Kulothunga Chola the third (11 78-1218 AD). Hence one can safely conclude this stone edifice is close to a millennium old. Unusually, there are no gifts from any of the kingdoms – Chola, Pandya or Maratha. Only the common man has bequeathed on the temple. The brick temple was converted to a stone one by a great man Kotramangalam Pararavayur. This conversion might have happened just during the region of Kulothunga III (1200 AD).
The temple of the Goddess was converted during 22nd year of the region of Rajarajan III (1216 – 1246 AD). So it can be safely concluded that the stone temple for Maamalayatti was constructed in the year 1238 AD. The political officer of Kulothunga Chola III, Gunavayiludaiyar Meenavan Moovendha Vellalan consecrated the Rajaraja Vinayagar statue on the 15th day after the accession of the King to the throne. The King had distributed lands exempted from tax to this Temple. The King’s mandate is inscribed on the epigraphic stone. 
A woman by name Aalavandhal gave away few of her slaves to the temple on the 13th year of rule of the King Kulothunga III.  A Vellalan who calls himself as Ammana Aandi and resident of Thirupampuram pledged himself and his two daughters to the temple for 32 Kassu due to poverty. These three have become the slaves of the Mutt attached to the Temple. An epigraph which belong to the year 1205 AD describes during the 27th year of rule of  King Kulottunga III, Thiru Vaesanalaiyar purchased a land from the temple and  in exchange he has given a piece of  land in the middle of the main street to the Temple.  
Kazhumala Nattup Porkizhaththiyar alias Ponnazhi had given 120 Kasu to light a lamp in the month of Avani to the Thiruviththichira Mudaiayar to the
Mendicant (Sripandaram) during the 28th year of the rule of the King Kulottunga III. A devotee Naarpaththennayiram Manikkam consecrated Thiruvasura Nayanar, Periya Thevar and Naachchimaar in this temple during the 35th year rule of the King Kulothunga III. Lands at various places have been set aside as donation for offering  raw rice for the consecrated Thiruvasura Nayanar, Periya Thevar and Naachchimaar in this temple. The List of donors is also found in the epigraph.
One of the epigraphs states   that King Kulottunga III’s, 31st year of ruling Arulmozhi Brammarayan requested the great Assembly of Chadurvedi Mangalam to donate lands for the Temple. During   the 13th year of rule Rajarajan III, Varunanatheesuramudaiyan gifted away ten cows and three female calves and he made arrangement for the salary and other expenditure for the maintenance of the cows and calves in order to provide daily milk products for the Lord Thiruppaampuramudaiyar. He had also built a shelter near the entrance of the temple for the cattle.
During Rajarajan III’s 28th ruling year Thiru Smuchchkkamathuuduayan Dhamodarana Chozhiyathaya Vellalan constructed a hall (Aaththana Mandapam) in the Second prakaram (Courtyard) of Thirupampuram Udaiyar temple. The Assembly of Kulothunga Chola Chadurvedi Mangalam had gifted away lands in Thirupampuram village as well as in other places for the maintenance of this Hall (Aaththana Mandapam). Pazhuvaettaiyar gifted away lands for the vessel and to bring water daily from Arasalaru for the Aabishaegam and 52 Red Lilli flowers to Garland the Thiruppaampuramudaiyar. The lands were also given away for the water bearer and the flower man.  
One of the epigraphs mentions the list of members of the great assembly during the reign of the Rajajarajan III who acted as per the orders of the Army General Rajaraja Brammarayan. During the 15th year of rule of Rajendra III a Brahmin Lady with the guardianship of Perumaruthoor Thiruchchaerai Ninrupattan sold her land for 2000 Kasu in the presence of her son. In the document the other land of the lady with the areas and directions are  also mentioned, which serves as an evidence that even the widows owned lands in their name during that period.
Aalalasundara Vaellalan’s son gifted away ¼ veli irrigation land with water canal facility to the Thiruppaampuramudaiyar temple. One of the epigraphs explains the land of the persons those who have not paid tax for their lands were confiscated during the 23rd year of rule of Jatavarma  Sundara Pandiyan. An epigraph which belongs to the period of 13th century mentions that a principal amount was created for the creation a Temple Flower Garden. Thirupampuram temple epigraphs give a detailed list of names of the land as per the records maintained by the rulers.
An epigraph states that a person from Paerullur gifted away land for Goddess Maamalayatti for Naivaethiyam during the pooja time. In Southern side of the Mahamandapam of the Temple, an epigraph is found which belongs to the Kuloththunga Chola III period states that Kaduvetti Pallavan had donated land for the Temple. An epigraph found in the eastern wall of the outer fortification of the Temple states that Vennai Nallur Kaalingarayan had made some contribution to the temple but details of the contribution is not known.
An epigraph found on the ornamental work of the western wall of the Sanctum Sanctorum in four line states that Sokkaperumal along with his father purchased land for making arrangements to create flower garden. The Great Assembly gave tax exemption for this land. Subedar Panditharayan representative of Mannuko Panditharayan has constructed a Vasantha Mandapam in the Sedapureesvarar Temple during reign of Tanjore Maratha King Saraboji is found in one of the epigraphs. The name of the Cholapureesvarar Swamy is found on the southern wall of the front hall in one of the epigraphs.

No comments: