Karpaka Vinayakar Temple (Pillaiyar Patti Pillaiyar Temple), Thiruppatthur - History
Karpaga Vinayagar Temple history and growth can be traced in stages. The first stage takes us back by approximately 1600 years. This was when the innermost rock cut shrines housing Karpaka Vinayakar and Tiruveesar took form. Ganesha’s distinctive image and the characters in the temple inscriptions help ascertain the date. The pillars inside the temple are of pre-Pallava origin.
Inscriptions within the temple dating back to between 1091 AD and 1238 AD, indicate that the Pillayarpatti Nagarattar turned out to be the custodians of the temple in the 13th century AD, which was the second growth phase of Karpaga Vinayagar Koil. This was when the Vimanams and Rajagopurams were constructed.
Karpaga Vinayagar Temple’s third phase of growth is quite recent. The temple and the tank have been renovated and refurbished and look beautiful now.