Kodunkundranathar Temple, Piranmalai, Sivaganga – History
Piranmalai is the 2,000-year-old capital of Vallal Paari — earlier known as Parambumalai — famous. It also came to be known as Mullaimangalanadu after the creeper plant, which as the legend goes, grew once the gracious King Paari lent his golden chariot to it when he found the Mullai lying on the ground.
Piranmalai is a fortified hill at an elevation of over 2,000 feet. This is a last outcrop of the Eastern Ghats, with a Bhairavar temple and five peedas in the rocks of the hill called the Pandava Theerthams, is also sacred to the Muslims with a dargah of Waliyullah Sheikh Abdullah Saheb on its peak. At the foot hill, there are traces of a moat and Fort Marudhu, which was pulled down in early 19th century.
History records that the Sivagangai country was ruled by the Marudhus who waged a war against the British and the Arcot Nawab alliance during the 18th Century. It is said that Umai Durai, younger brother of Kattabomman, was hidden here in an inaccessible cave in Piranmalai by the Marudhu brothers. The spot is called the “Umaiyan Kudambu”.
The barren hill is believed to have been covered with dense jungle in the days of Maruthupandiar's rule from late 17th century to 1801. It was part of a large jungle that extended from the Eastern Ghats to the Palk Straits. This is a vast hill temple reached by a flight of steps in the Pandya Kingdom. The Marudu brothers of Sivagangai associated with Kalaiyar Kovil have made several contributions to this temple. The hilly village includes five areas (Piranmalai Main, Mathagupatti, Pudupatti, Pappapatti, and Adiyarkulam).