Padalathri Temple (Narasimhar Temple), Singaperumalkoil, Kanchipuram – History
Singaperumalkoil was originally called by various names like Azhwar Narasingadevar & Narsinga Vinnagar Azhwar. The original temple is believed to have been built in Rock-cut architecture by the Pallavas, who built cave temples of similar kind in the area. The inscriptions on the walls of the temple are from the chola regime during the 10 – 11th centuries. The inscriptions are made in Tamil or in ancient Tamil scripts indicating gift of land, lamps and houses to the temple.
The oldest inscription is found from the period of Raja Raja Chola (985-1016 CE), the most famous Chola emperor from Thanjavur during 990 indicating gift of 26 sheep for the perpetual lighting of the temple. Another inscription from Andal shrine is mutilated, but indicates gift by an individual to the presiding deity. The third inscription is mutilated, presumably from the 11th century indicating gifts to the temple.