Yeri Katha Ramar Temple, Maduranthakam, Kanchipuram – History
The place was once famous during the rule of Cholas who ruled this place as Maduranthaga Chaturvedi Mangalam after the Chola ruler Maduranthaga Uttama Chola (973 -85 CE). It is believed that Gandaraditya donated the village to the Vedics (Chaturvedi - one who knows all four vedas) of the place and hence it came to be known as Chaturvedi Mangalam.
The presiding deity of the temple is Rama with his consort Sita and his brother Lakshmana. The images are made of stucco as is the case in some of the temples like Ulagalantha Perumal Temple, Kanchipuram. There are different shrines around the sanctum and one of them is that of Sita who is worshipped as Janakavalli.
Later, Pandya and Nayak kings are said to have helped in the renovation and contributed to the improvement of the temple. Nayaks are believed to have constructed the Raja Gopuram that is seen today.
Ahobila Mutt Educational Institution:
Outside the Yeri Kaatha Ramar temple is a six decade old Oriental high school run by Ahobila Mutt with hostel facilities. Started in 1950, the school runs classes from 6th to 10th standard with Sanskrit as the first language. The Ahobila Mutt also runs, entirely free of cost for the students, a 7 year Vedic Education class, a 5 year class to learn Divya Prabandham and a 5 year Shiromani class (equivalent to MA). The school currently has around 150 students, who have come from across Tamil Nadu, Karnataka and Andhra Pradesh.