Ramanathaswamy Temple, Rameswaram – Ramanathaswamy Sannadhi
The main deity (Moolavar) of the temple, the Shiva linga installed by Lord Rama is kept inside this shrine. It is believed that the Shiva linga is built by beach sand by Sita (wife of lord Rama).
Vigrahas (metal idols) of Ramanathaswamy and Ambal Parvadhavardhini (Urchavar idols used during festivals), Ram, Sita, Lakshmana, Sugriva, Hanuman are kept near Ramanathaswamy shrine.
These idols are used in festival times. Ramanathaswamy shrine is built using dark black granite stones and the vimana (roof top tower) was coated with gold.
Statues around Ramanathaswamy Shrine:
· Sun God Surya with his wife
· Gandhamadhana Lingam (It is believed that this lingam present in Rameswaram even before the arrival of lord Ram)
· Jyothi Lingam (it is believed that installed by Vibhishana)
· Statues of 63 Nayanmars (Devotees of lord Shiva)
· Dhakshina Moorthi
· Natarajar (There are 2 Natarajar idols present near the northeast corner to the Ramanathaswamy shrine)
· Siva Durga Devi
· Chandikeswarar Shrine