Fort Geldria, Pulicat, Thiruvallur
Fort Geldria or Fort Geldaria, located in Pulicat behind Pulicat Bus Stop in Thiruvallur District of Tamil Nadu, was the seat of the Dutch Republic's first settlement in India, and the capital of Dutch Coromandel. It was built by the Dutch East India Company in 1613 and became the local governmental centre in 1616. It was named for Geldria, the native province of Wemmer van Berchem, the General Director of the company. The Fort was regularly protected by a garrison of 80 to 90 men.
Fort Geldria was the only fortification in the Indian empire; all other positions of the Dutch Company were trading posts. Fort Geldria being on the shores of Pulicat Lake helps in providing easy access to the Bay of Bengal and the Coromandel Coast. The place served as a significant place for carrying out different types of trading activities. It was a prime centre for of rivalry between the Portuguese, colonial powers of the Dutch and the British.
For brief details, please refer below link;
The ruins of 400 years old Fort Geldria is hidden under thorny bushes behind the Pulicat bus stop. The fort only comprises of a few broken brick structures that are barely visible to public eye.
Fort Geldria is located at about 100 meters from Pazhaverkadu Bus Stop, 800 meters from Pulicat Bus Stand, 9 Kms from Thirupalaivanam, 10 Kms from Karungali, 20 Kms from Ponneri, 20 Kms from Ponneri Railway Station, 74 Kms from Thiruvallur, 70 Kms from Chennai Airport and 55 Kms from Chennai. Town buses are frequently available from Ponneri and Red Hills.