Kalyana Vigirtheeswarar Temple, Venjamangudalur – The Temple
This temple has a 5-tiered Rajagopuram and the temple is facing west. The temple was washed away by the flood in the Kudaganaaru. The current temple is the result of extensive rebuilding work carried out in the 1982. The temple is a level below the 5 tier Rajagopuram. Shrines of Vinayaga and Murugan are situated on both side of Rajagopuram.
There is a Garuda Thoon or Vilakku Thoon in front of Rajagopuram. A flight of stone steps has been provided from the entrance to reach the maha mandapam since the temple is at a much lower level. The ceiling of the temple has been painted beautifully. The maha mandapam has been partially covered with a sloping roof in concrete and elegantly painted. The floor has been neatly fitted with glistening tiles.
The original stone-pillared mandapam has now been crowned with beautiful stucco work, and at its corners are found the images of Kamadenu. On either side of the front wall of the garba griha of the main deity, the images of Sundaramurthy Nayanar and Arunagirinathar have been placed indicating their association with this temple. Presiding Deity is called as Kalyana Vigirtheeswarar / Vikirthanatheswarar. Lord Shiva is housed in the sanctum facing east. The main Lingam inside the sanctum sanctorum is 5 feet in height. Lord Vigirtheeswarar graces with his snake jewel (Nagabaranam) in the sanctum as a Swayambumurthy (Self-manifested). Vigirtheeswarar means Lord who grants us all that is good. Devotees get their sins washed off by worshipping Lord Shiva here.
The sanctum of this temple bears depictions of the 7 Thevara temples in Kongu Naadu. Vinayagar, Dhakshina Moorthy, Lingothbavar, Brahma and Durgai are the Koshta Idols located around the sanctum walls. Mother is called as Vigirthambika / Mathurabhasini / Panner Mozhi Ammai. She is housed in a separate shrine facing east. Her Idol is 2.5 feet in height. Her shrine is situated to the left of sanctum. Vinayaka of the temple is Lord Siddhi Vinayaka.
There are shrines of Suryan, Chandran, Pancha lingams, Valli Devasena Sri Subramaniyar in the outer prakaram. There are shrines of Navagrahas, Bairavar, Nambiyandar Nambikal, Sekkizhar, 63 Nayanmars & Natarajar Saba in the inner prakaram. Utsava Idols of Somaskandar, Pallakku Chokkar, Subramaniyar can be found in this Temple.
The Muruga sannidhi, located at the north-west corner of the prakaram, attracts everyone. The idol, with six arms and his consorts, Valli and Devasena, to the left and right respectively, is an architectural marvel. He is seated on peacock whose head is turned to left, “asura pakam,” a posture adopted after the killing of Soora Padman. He is praised by Saint Arunagiri in his Thirupugazh hymns. It is believed that worshipping Lord Muruga here will result in the re-union of couples separated earlier for some reason or other.
As in Karur Pasupatheeswarar temple, there are separate niches for Surya and Chandra near the eastern compound wall on either side. Sthala Vriksham is Vilvam Tree. Theertham associated with this Temple is Vigirtha Theertham. The temple falls under the jurisdiction of the Executive Officer, Karur Pasupatheeswarar temple.
This Shivasthalam has been patronized by the kings of Pandiya Naadu and many rock cut inscriptions of Pandiya Period have been found in this temple. The northern and southern walls are full of inscriptions and similarly, around the goddess sannidhi, there are inscriptions. All these inscriptions have been copied under South Indian inscription series from 143-50 in 1905. One of them relates to the re-building of the goddess shrine by Sundara Pandya Thevar during the third regnal year of Thirubhuvana Chakravarthy Veera Pandya (1265-85 A.D.) The rest of them relate to 12th century when the village, Venjamakoodal must have enjoyed great importance.