Manappad Light House, Thoothukudi
Manappad Lighthouse is an important 130 year landmark located along the beaches of Manappad. The construction of this lighthouse was started by the British in 1887 and completed in 1888. The main function of this lighthouse then was to guide the fishermen living here who made a living by diving for pearls in the sea. The lighting at this lighthouse was initially with an oil wick lamp and from 1902 a PV burner provided lighting at this lighthouse. On August 31, 1994 the PV light was replaced by electric lighting. This lighthouse has been featured in several Tamil movies.
Manappad Lighthouse in Manappad is located at 8°22'22.6"N 78°03'56.4"E or 8.372959, 78.065659.